People who don't like tofu have never tried these tofu bites. Seriously, these are addictive in the best way possible. You can throw these in pretty much any dish and make it ten times better. Or eat them alone! Whatever suits your fancy. Nothing is wrong when it comes to eating these - crispy on the outside, softer on the inside, and exploding with melting peanut flavor.
Easy Spicy Peanut Tofu Bites [Vegan]
For the Tofu:
- 1-14 ounce block of extra firm tofu (make sure you are buying extra firm)
- 2 tablespoons of toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup of liquid aminos
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons of chili garlic sauce
- 3 tablespoons of peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 inch nub of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- Chopped peanuts
- First begin by pressing the water out of your tofu. You can either use a tofu press or drain and wrap your tofu in a clean, dry towel. Place that on a plate and place a heavy pan (cast iron, etc.) on top. Then add a heavy can of tomatoes etc. on top for extra weight. Press for at least 30-45 minutes. Then remove the towel and slice into cubes.
- While pressing, add all of your ingredients through red pepper flakes into a mason jar or your blender and shake/blend until well incorporated. Once the tofu is done, place it and the marinade in a container with a lid. Let the tofu marinade for at least 1 hour or up to 3 days. The longer it marinades the more flavor it will absorb.
- You can cook this one of two ways… either in a fry pan with a bit of oil cooking until crispy or you can bake.
- If baking, line your baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone liner. Add your tofu, trying to reserve some marinade for coating later.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden, crunchy edges develop. You can toss midway through the baking time.
- Top with sesame seeds when cooking is complete. Remove and serve immediately or at room temperature. Leftovers store perfectly in the fridge in an airtight container.
- You can pair this tofu up with a big mixed green salad, steamed veggies, or for tacos. You can also go the classic avenue and serve with rice or cook in a stir fry.