Sweet, smoky, and hearty lentils in a homemade barbecue sauce! This is an amazingly simple, flavorful dinner that's perfect for busy spring and summer days. All you have to do is cook up the lentils until they’re nice and thick. Set them aside to cool, and make your barbecue sauce/sides! These pair perfectly with corn on the cob and other seasonal vegetables.
Easy, Smoky, and Sweet Barbecue Lentils [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Lentils:
- 1 1/2 cups dry green lentils
- 3 1/2 cups water
For the Sauce:
- 1 8-ounce can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4-1 cup water
- 3 cloves garlic
- Smoked paprika, pepper, stevia, and red pepper flakes, to taste
- Cook lentils in 3 1/2 cup water; bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the water is absorbed. This should take 30-40 minutes.
- To make the sauce, combine all the ingredients into a pot and cook on medium-low heat for about 15 minutes, until the sauce is warmed through.
- Top lentils with the barbecue sauce and serve with a side of cauliflower rice, coleslaw, etc..