These quinoa sloppy joes are everything you love about the classic sandwich – flavorful, spicy, messy, and delicious – while also being vegan and healthy! Talk about best of both worlds. Tossed in tomato sauce and seasoned with plenty of spice, feel free to top this sandwich with your favorite fixings.
Easy Quinoa Sloppy Joes [Vegan]
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 15-ounce can of low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1/2 of 1 small white onion, chopped small
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Southwest Chipotle seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Minced garlic (optional)
- Chopped peppers or jalapeños
- First, cook quinoa in advance according to instructions.
- In a skillet, add the tomato sauce, chopped onion, all the seasonings, and olive oil. Add the minced garlic and chopped peppers, if you choose to. Cook on medium-heat until it starts to bubble slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Then, add the cooked quinoa and mix well, just cook until hot which is about 5 more minutes and then serve on the buns of your choice.