Loaded with tomatoes, celery, onion, cajun seasoning, paprika, thyme, sweet peppers, and jalapeños, this cajun jambalaya is a perfect one-pot meal. Since most cajun jambalaya recipes call for a medley of meat products, this jambalaya has vegan sausages instead, just to add a little heartiness and umami to the dish. Feel free to substitute those for vegetables or leave them out though if you'd like the recipe to be gluten-free.
Easy Cajun Jambalaya [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Easy Cajun Jambalaya [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 5 mini red/yellow/orange peppers, diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, diced (use less/more according to taste)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 vegan sausages, sliced into chunks
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups short-grained rice
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
How to Prepare Easy Cajun Jambalaya [Vegan]
- In a large saucepan, heat canola oil and sauté celery, onion, peppers, jalapeño peppers, and garlic for 5 minutes or till softened.
- Once softened, add vegan sausage chunks, hot sauce, crushed tomatoes, cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, and thyme into pan and stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Once tomatoes start simmering, add brown rice, vegetable stock, coconut sugar, salt, and pepper to the pan. Stir well and bring to a simmer.
- Cover pan with lid and let rice simmer for 40 minutes on very low heat.
- After 40 minutes, turn off heat, uncover the pan, and stir well to mix all ingredients together evenly.
- Mix in chopped parsley.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
Use less hot sauce/cayenne/jalapeño if you want a milder Jambalaya. We used mini sweet peppers, but if you can't find those, normal Red and Yellow Peppers will suffice.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 3133 | Total Carbs: 448 g | Total Fat: 72 g | Total Protein: 158 g | Total Sodium: 7521 g | Total Sugar: 42 g Per Serving: Calories: 783 | Carbs: 112 g | Fat: 18 g | Protein: 40 g | Sodium: 1880 mg | Sugar: 11 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.