A simple veggie burger that's nutritious, yet delicious! The black bean patty is high in protein thanks to the beans, nuts and seeds. It's also filled with fiber due to the beans, vegetables, whole wheat bread and again, the nuts and seeds. It's flavored with smoked paprika, garlic and onions to give you a BBQ flavored burger, without any BBQ sauce. Make a few batches and keep them in the freezer for easy weeknight dinners!
Easy Black Bean Burger [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Easy Black Bean Burger [Vegan]
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 19 oz (540 ml) black beans, canned
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 cup carrots, packed, finely shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon oil + more for cooking
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- Pinch of cayenne (optional)
- Pepper to taste
- Tahini cabbage slaw (recipe follows)
How to Prepare Easy Black Bean Burger [Vegan]
- Toast your bread in a toaster until golden and crispy. Tear the toasts and add them to a food processor. Process until you get small/medium sized crumbs. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Rinse your black beans and add them to the same food processor (there's no need to clean it). Process a few seconds, leaving some texture.
- Add your chopped onion and minced garlic to the food processor with the beans. Process a few more seconds to bring it all together. You want the mixture to have a bit of texture, while still being mashed. Transfer to the same large bowl as the bread crumbs.
- In the food processor, add your sunflower seeds and walnuts. Pulse a few times until chopped. Transfer to the bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl. Stir everything together until combined.
- Form 7-8 patties.
- To cook the patties: Heat oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cook the patties 5 minutes on each side until golden and crispy on the outside. Serve on a bun with desired toppings.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.