Nothing says "fancy" like baklava, a pastry normally made from layers of flaky filo pastry, walnuts, butter, and honey. Instead of the honey and butter, this easy recipe uses macadamia oil and a richly sweet syrup made from coconuts. The contrast between the flaky pastry, crunchy walnuts, and sticky-sweet syrup is simply amazing — and you can make the whole thing with only six ingredients!
Easy Baklava [Vegan]
- 4 cups walnuts
- 1 cup macadamia oil
- 13 ounces filo pastry
- 2 cups coconut sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 lemon, cut into thin slices
- Preheat oven to 360°F.
- Oil a 9x12-inch baking dish.
- Start off with blending half the walnuts in your food processor using an "S"-blade and blend until it almost turns into a walnut meal. Add in the other half of the walnuts and pulse until you have some smaller chunks of walnuts left.
- Place two sheets of the filo on the bottom of the baking dish, leaving the sides hanging out of the dish a little.
- Using an oil brush, oil the filo pastry and sprinkle evenly with 1 1/2 tablespoons of walnuts. Make sure to also get some in the corners.
- Fold one sheet of the filo in half and place on top. Coat this layer with macadamia oil.
- Continue this process of layering until you have run out of walnuts. You may have one sheet of filo leftover at the end.
- To finish it off, top with two filo sheets and tuck and overlap the filo on the sides. Coat with macadamia oil and place in the oven.
- Bake for 50 minutes until the top of the filo becomes golden brown.
- While the baklava is baking, place the coconut sugar and water in a saucepan and stir over a low-medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to a gentle simmer for 7-10 minutes. You can cook it for longer if you want a thicker sauce. Make sure you don't reduce it too much as you will need it to seep into the pastry.
- Once the pastry is done, cut it into diamond shapes while it's still hot. Pour 3/4 of the syrup over the baklava, aiming to get it in between the cut sections.
- Place the slices of lemon on top and pour the rest over.
- Set aside to cool completely before serving.