A very quick and easy, super healthy Korean vegan stew. Doenjang Jjigae is made with soybean paste, vegetables and fresh tofu. It has anti-aging and anti-cancer properties, vitamin A, vitamin C and tons of minerals.
Doenjang Jjigae: Korean Soybean Paste Stew [Vegan]
- 4 cups water
- 2 pieces of kelp
- 2 cups of potatoes, chopped into small square pieces
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 7 tablespoons Doenjang
- 2 tablespoons Gochugaru (Korean Red Pepper Powder)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, mashed
- 1/3 cup vegan kimchi
- 4 small white mushrooms, chopped into quarters
- 1/2 zucchini
- 2 cups fresh firm tofu, chopped into small pieces
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 chillies - optional
- Heat a pan over a high heat and pour in the water, add the kelp and potatoes. When the potatoes are half cooked, take the kelp out.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook it for another minute.
- Add the Doenjang, Gochugaru and the garlic. Add the vegan kimchi and bring to the boil.
- Add the mushrooms and courgette/zucchini and cook for around 30 seconds.
- Add the tofu, the spring onions and the chillies. Cook them until the tofu has softened a little. It takes only 1-2 minutes depending on the strength of your stove. Enjoy!