This detox red lentil soup is the perfect filling yet detoxing mixture of nutritious ingredients for when you are feeling sluggish and weighed down. Thanks to red lentils, this detox veggie soup is hearty yet light at the same time with protein-packed lentils that keep you full and are also recommended for detoxing the body because they are easily digested. On top of lentils, mineral rich pumpkin seeds are a delicious addition for crunch and healthy fats. While antioxidant and vitamin C rich carrots and red peppers provide extra nutrition and flavor along with nutrition-packed garlic, ginger, and bitter greens. Soaked in fragrant potent herbs and spices, this adds medicinal benefits and extra flavor. It’s the perfect colorful, healthy, and warming dish to cook during the dreary, cold days of winter.
Detox Red Lentil Soup [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup dried red lentils
- 2 cups water
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, whole or minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or brown sugar
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk such as almond, oat, or coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds for sprinkling on top
- Start by rinsing lentils and soaking them for a couple of hours before (optional, but helps to cut down on cooking time). Boil the water in a medium pot, then add lentils and chopped vegetables and cook for around 10 to 15 minutes for soaked lentils and around 15-20 for non-soaked or until desired consistency is reached.
- Pour additional water over the lentils if they start sticking to the pot and stir as necessary. Add herbs and spices during the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
- Let cool, then sprinkle with additional salt & pepper and pumpkin seeds. Enjoy!
- Red Lentil