The brown sugar in this pie gives it a distinctly caramel flavor, perfect served with a dollop of coconut whipped topping or a scoop of vegan ice cream.
Deep Dish Apple Brown Sugar Pie [Vegan]
- 1 recipe pie crust
- 4 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons nondairy milk
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Roll out one disk of pie crust to fit a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan. Roll out second disk large enough to cover pie.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, 1/4 cup sugar, brown sugar, butter, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg; mix well.
- Spoon apple mixture into prepared crust. Top with pie dough, cut any excess, and crimp edge with a fork. Slice 4 (1-inch) holes to vent pie. Brush with milk and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake 10 minutes. Turn oven down to 350°F and bake an additional 45 minutes. Cool completely before cutting.