This recipe for baked, sliceable cashew-almond cheese is unbelievable. Lemon juice combined with nutritional yeast give it a tangy, "authentic" flavor that's just begging to be served with sweet, fruity flavors. You can even alternate what flavors you serve this cashew-almond cheese with, so experiment to your heart's delight! The base of this cheese would also pair beautifully with dried cranberries, figs, and sun-dried tomatoes.
Baked Herb-Crusted Cashew-Almond Cheese [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Baked Herb-Crusted Cashew-Almond Cheese [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup raw blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- Sprinkle fresh thyme (dried is okay)
- Sprinkle dried basil
- Sprinkle fresh rosemary (dried is okay)
- Generous amounts of salt and pepper
How to Prepare Baked Herb-Crusted Cashew-Almond Cheese [Vegan]
- Soak the nuts in water overnight. When ready to begin making the cheese, drain and rinse the nuts.
- With a food processor, purée nuts until very smooth with lemon juice, olive oil, nutritional yeast, and spices.
- Place a strainer over a large bowl lined with cheesecloth. Carefully scoop out processed nut mixture into cheesecloth. Bring corners of cloth together, twist around cheese, and form a ball. Secure with a rubber band and lightly squeeze to get rid of excess water.
- Chill overnight with cheese resting on strainer, allowing water to drip out.
- Preheat oven to 390°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop out cheese from cheesecloth with a spatula and form a 1 1/2-inch log. Use your spatula or a spoon to smooth the sides.
- Finally, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and spices. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until it is firm to touch and slightly browned.
- Turn off oven, open door and allow to cool completely before removing and serving.
Cheese will last a couple of weeks in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. The flavor becomes more "fermented" with time.
Total Calories: 1376 | Total Carbs: 56 g | Total Fat: 119 g | Total Protein: 43 g | Total Sodium: 51 g | Total Sugar: 10 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.