This recipe for baked, sliceable cashew-almond cheese is unbelievable. Lemon juice combined with nutritional yeast give it a tangy, "authentic" flavor that's just begging to be served with sweet, fruity flavors. You can even alternate what flavors you serve this cashew-almond cheese with, so experiment to your heart's delight! The base of this cheese would also pair beautifully with dried cranberries, figs, and sun-dried tomatoes.
Baked Herb-Crusted Cashew-Almond Cheese [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Baked Herb-Crusted Cashew-Almond Cheese [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup raw blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- Sprinkle fresh thyme (dried is okay)
- Sprinkle dried basil
- Sprinkle fresh rosemary (dried is okay)
- Generous amounts of salt and pepper
How to Prepare Baked Herb-Crusted Cashew-Almond Cheese [Vegan]
- Soak the nuts in water overnight. When ready to begin making the cheese, drain and rinse the nuts.
- With a food processor, purée nuts until very smooth with lemon juice, olive oil, nutritional yeast, and spices.
- Place a strainer over a large bowl lined with cheesecloth. Carefully scoop out processed nut mixture into cheesecloth. Bring corners of cloth together, twist around cheese, and form a ball. Secure with a rubber band and lightly squeeze to get rid of excess water.
- Chill overnight with cheese resting on strainer, allowing water to drip out.
- Preheat oven to 390°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop out cheese from cheesecloth with a spatula and form a 1 1/2-inch log. Use your spatula or a spoon to smooth the sides.
- Finally, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and spices. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until it is firm to touch and slightly browned.
- Turn off oven, open door and allow to cool completely before removing and serving.
Cheese will last a couple of weeks in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. The flavor becomes more "fermented" with time.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 1376 | Total Carbs: 56 g | Total Fat: 119 g | Total Protein: 43 g | Total Sodium: 51 g | Total Sugar: 10 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.