These Dark Chocolate Orange Muffins are a delightful treat for your early mornings along with a fresh cup of coffee or tea. They're soft, chocolaty and nicely elevated by the citrusy aroma of oranges.
Dark Chocolate Orange Muffins [Vegan]
Candied Orange Zest:
- 2 large oranges
- 1/8 cup org bourbon barrel aged maple syrup (or plain maple syrup)
- 1/4 teaspoon organic cardamom powder
For the Muffin Dry Ingredients:
- 3 1/2 cups organic gluten-free almond flour
- 1 1/2 cup organic oat flour
- 1 1/2 cup organic rice flour
- 1/3 cup organic turbinado sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon himalayan or celtic salt
For the Muffin Wet Ingredients:
- 2 cups organic unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 cup organic oat milk (or preferred plant-based milk)
- 1 cup organic coconut cream (full-fat)
- 1 cup organic dark chocolate chips (vegan, gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup organic fresh orange juice (w/ pulp)
- 1/2 cup orange zest (from approx. one large orange)
- 3 tablespoons unrefined raw org coconut oil (melted)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
Dark Chocolate Rum Glaze:
- On a stove, in a small pan mix together the dark chocolate chips and coconut cream and rum extract – – bring to a gentle boil, whisking until the chocolate chips are completely melted and a smooth, creamy glaze is obtained.
- Cover and set aside.
For the Muffins:
- Preheat oven at 350° F.
- In a large bowl or stand up mixer bowl combine and whisk ALL DRY ingredients – stand up mixer is recommended or hand mixer alternatively.
- To the bowl of mixed dry ingredients, add ALL WET ingredients.
- Mix ingredients well starting up at low speed and increase to high speed once all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Mix batter for approximately 5-7 minutes. Do add extra 2 minutes at the very end. There isn’t an over-beating danger with a gluten-free batter.
- After the batter is well incorporated, add the dark chocolate chips and stir in slightly with a silicone spatula. Do not over stir.
- Prepare your 12 large or 24 small muffins liners/ in muffins tins (recommended), or individual silicone baking cups, or your preferred cupcake liners.
- With a spoon (or using a piping bag), add the muffin batter to each individual muffin mold. Sprinkle a few more dark chocolate chips if desired.
- (If you choose to top the muffins with the candied orange zest, place a tiny amount of the candied zest on top of each muffin before baking).
- Place the pans into the preheated oven and bake for 40-45 minutes (larger molds might need an extra 5 minutes).
- The muffin batter should start raising after 10-15 minutes.
- The muffins should be all raised and slightly browned at the end of the baking process (toothpick test recommended).
- Remove pans from the oven and take each muffins liner from the tin carefully one at the time and place them on a cooling rack to cool for 10-15 minutes.