You don’t need to go to your favourite coffee shop (especially if it’s closed due to quarantine) to treat yourself to this creamy, velvety, decadent Dalgona Coffee, which has been taking the world by storm. This is a perfect way to mix up your usual coffee routine!
Dalgona Coffee [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- Hot or cold almond milk
- Optional: ice cubes if you’re serving Dalgona Coffee frappe style
- In a mixing bowl, combine instant coffee granules, sugar and hot water. Whisk by hand for a few seconds until the coffee granules are dissolved in the hot water.
- Switching to an electric whisk, whisk the coffee mixture for 12-15 minutes (the time will vary depending on your whisk) until soft peaks form. You’ll find the coffee mixture will turn from black colour to caramel and will become lighter in colour the longer you whip it. In terms of consistency, your Dalgona coffee mixture will go through several stages: from watery black liquid to smooth but still quite runny dark caramel cream (when the peaks are just starting to form but they don’t hold their shape that well yet) and then to light caramel, smooth and velvety stiff peaks.
- Pour hot or cold milk* (see serving ideas in the blog post) into a glass/mug and scoop the coffee whip on top. Mix with a spoon to combine. Enjoy!