This Dairy Free French Toast takes a classic breakfast to the next level. The pecan cinnamon-sugar sauce will knock your socks off. It makes for all the cozy vibes you need on your weekend mornings.
Dairy Free French Toast with a Cinnamon Sugar Sauce [Vegan]
For the French Toast Batter:
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of nutmeg
- coconut oil for frying
- 6 large pieces of bread of choice (gluten free/spelt/wheat)
For the Cinnamon Roll Pecan Topping:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk (from a can)
- 1/3 cup pecans (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
For the French Toast:
- Mix all the french toast batter together in a shallow dish so the bread can lay flat. "Batter" should be very liquidy.
- Preheat the oven to 250ºF and place a baking sheet in the oven (for the toasts to stay warm). Heat a large pan over medium heat (if using spelt or wheat bread) AND MEDIUM LOW for gluten free bread. The reason being, gluten free bread is quite starchy so you need to cook it at a lower temperature for a few more minutes so the outside doesn't get overly crispy before the middle has cooked. If the outside cooks too fast you'll be left with a soggy middle.
- Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to the pan. Option to have two pans on the go to speed along the process. Each piece of bread takes about 5 minutes per side to cook in a hot pan.
- Add the bread to the batter to soak for a few minutes. Enough time for the bread to absorb some liquid. If using gluten free bread, the bread will get super soft and that's ok. Place in the oiled frying pan and cook until golden brown on the underside. Carefully flip and cook until the other side is golden brown (roughly 5 minutes/side).
- It's recommended to add 1-2 teaspoons coconut oil in between each new round of bread in the pan to avoid sticking. When pieces are done, pop them in the oven on the baking sheet to stay warm as you continue to cook the next round.
For the Cinnamon Sugar Sauce (optional):
- While the french toast is cooking begin to make your cinnamon sugar topping. Add 2 tbsp of coconut oil to a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Once melted, add the coconut sugar and the coconut milk. Whisk together. Then bring the mixture to a boil. Boil until the mixture has become thicker (2-5 minutes) Make sure to whisk every so often so it doesn’t stick to the pan. Once the sauce is thicker, lower the temperature and add the pecans, vanilla and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Top french toast with the cinnamon pecan topping, coconut whip (see notes), and/or maple syrup.