A classic Czech potato salad made vegan! This creamy salad is easy to make and requires only a few simple ingredients. It is plant-based (dairy-free, egg-free), oil-free (no mayo), nutrient-rich and packed with plant protein!
Czech-Style Vegan Potato Salad [Vegan]
For the Salad:
- 3 large Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 large carrots diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 small red onion minced
- 2 large pickles diced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
For the Dressing:
- 1 cup cooked white cannellini beans
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons pickle juice
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Place the whole potatoes in a pot with cold water and a pinch of salt. Make sure the water covers the potatoes. Place the pot over high heat and bring the water to boil.
- Once the potatoes are boiling, lower the heat, but make sure the water keeps bubbling. Boil the potatoes until skins break and they are fork-tender. Drain and set aside until cool enough to handle. Peel skins and cut into cubes.
- Add potatoes into a large bowl.
- While potatoes are cooling, dice carrots and place in a small pot of boiling water. Add peas and cook until carrots are fork-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Drain and add to the bowl with potatoes. add in remaining chopped veggies (celery, onion, pickles and parsley). The dressing can also be prepared while potatoes are boiling. If using canned beans make sure to to drain the beans and rinse them well.
- In a blender mix prepared beans, plant-based milk, hemp hearts, mustard, pickle juice, and sea salt.
- Blend on high speed and scrape down the sides if needed until the dressing is completely smooth and creamy.
- Add to potatoes and veggies. Gently toss and serve at room temperature or cold.
This salad tastes best when refrigerated overnight. You can store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days. If you aren’t into white potatoes, sweet potatoes could easily be used here!