Indian style okra stir fry with onions, tomatoes and spices! This version uses no oil, and yet has an amazing aroma and flavour. It's vegan and gluten-free.
Curried Okra – Bhindi Masala [Vegan, Gluten Free, Oil Free]
- 2 cups Bhindi / Okra / Ladies Finger
- 1/2 Onion chopped
- 2 Tomatoes diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 inch Ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala
- Wash and pat dry the okra. Slit each piece lengthwise.
- In a blender or magic bullet grind the tomatoes, garlic, ginger and cumin seeds into a paste. Do not use water to grind.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and add in the tomato/spice paste. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the chopped onions and continue cooking on medium/low heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the okra, turmeric, coriander and salt. Cook on for additional 10 minutes adding some water if necessary. Do not cover the pan with lit. Keep in low to medium heat but turn the mix over very gently without breaking the okra, ONLY when required.
- Once the okra is cooked, remove from the heat and mix in garam masala.
- Your Bhindi Masala is ready to be served! Try this curry with our Indian style cauliflower rice. Yum!