Indian cauliflower rice with turmeric, lime and pistachios is an easy and quick side dish that happens to be gluten-free and grain-free. It's a healthy addition to your veggie curries, buddha bowls and salads. Cauliflower rice (especially the recipe listed below) tastes delicious and is great for weekly meal prep. Make up a batch and add it to your meals for a veggie boost all week long. Cauliflower has anti-inflammatory properties, promotes healthy digestion, and provides a lot of vitamin C. It also belongs to the cancer-fighting cruciferous family of vegetables. This Indian cauliflower rice is easy, healthy, and delicious––you’re in for a treat…
Indian Cauliflower Rice [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Indian Cauliflower Rice [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- head of cauliflower, washed
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or water, see notes
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/3 cup chopped pistachios
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Prepare Indian Cauliflower Rice [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Wash the cauliflower thoroughly in cold water.
- Slice the cauliflower head in half and use a knife to remove all the florets. Cut some of the larger florets into smaller pieces so they'll fit within the chute of your food processor.
- Add the chopped pieces into a food processor equipped with either regular "S" blade or grater blade and process in bursts of a few seconds to grate.
- Depending on the size of your food processor, you may have to do this in 2-3 stages.
- Heat the coconut oil/ or water in a large skillet over medium heat, when hot, add mustard seeds, mix for 1-2 min.
- Add turmeric powder and mix again.
- Add pistachios, crushed cardamon pods and a pinch of salt, mix it all.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, adding more water if needed.
- Add the cauliflower rice to the pan and sauté for another 5-7 minutes. Turn the stove off.
- Mix in lime juice and chopped cilantro leaves and chilli pepper flake.
- Season with salt and pepper, garnish with some chopped nuts or seeds and serve immediately.
1. Oil-free: Omit the mustard seeds and sauté the onion in broth and proceed. 2. If you don't have whole cardamom pods, add a pinch of ground cardamom instead. 3. If you don't have a food processor, chop the cauliflower into large pieces and grate it using a large grater.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.