This flavorful soup is a great way to give new life to any leftover roasted veggies you might have -- it's creamy with a little heat from the curry powder and makes a terrific meal alongside some crusty bread and a simply dressed green salad.
Curried Carrot and Parsnip Soup [Vegan]
- 2 cups roasted carrots and parsnips
- 2 cups vegetable stock, divided
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 onion, cut into large dice
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder (I used hot curry for some spice, but you can use sweet curry as well)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a small saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté until onion is tender, about 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle on the curry powder and stir to combine. Cook the onion mixture for an additional minute until warm and fragrant. Add 1/2 cup vegetable broth and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until onions are softened. Set aside.
- In a blender add the leftover roasted vegetables and the remaining broth. Puree until smooth. Add the applesauce and blend again to combine. Add the curried onions and process until smooth. If soup is too thick add a little vegetable broth to thin it out.
- Pour the soup into a saucepan and warm over medium heat. Serve.