This quiche is packed with flavor, is super easy to make, and served in individual ramekins! Without a crust, the dish focuses on the rich, umami flavor of the mushrooms and the sautéed leek and onion. This is the perfect Sunday savory brunch recipe.
Crustless Mushroom Quiche [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed
- 4 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of diced onion
- 1/2 cup of chopped leek
- 1 1/2 cups of diced mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon of tamari concentrate
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped coriander
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/8 cup of almond butter
- 1/3 cup of coconut milk
- 1/8 cup of whole spelt flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 338°F.
- Mix the ground flax seed together with the water and set aside.
- Dice the onion, finely chop the leek, and add it to a heated saucepan along with the olive oil on medium heat. Crush the garlic cloves, finely dice the mushrooms, and when the onion starts to sweat, add them to the pan.
- Add the tamari along with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper to the pan and let it simmer, occasionally stirring, until the mushrooms are nice and soft.
- Wash and finely chop the coriander. When the mushrooms have softened, take the pan off the heat, add the coriander, and mix.
- Add the almond butter to the flax seed mixture and whisk until combined. Next, add the coconut milk, mix then add the spelt flour and baking powder and give it a good mix.
- Fold the mixture from the pan into the batter then add sea salt and black pepper to taste. Transfer into 2 ramekins and pop them into the preheated oven until lightly golden brown on the surface, around 15 minutes.
- Take out and let it slightly cool.