These tofu nuggets are a vegan twist on a traditional favorite. If you don’t want to deep fry them, you can also fry them in a skillet until golden brown. The curry ketchup is a unique dipping sauce that packs a punch and perfectly complements the dish. It also goes great with your morning tofu scramble eggs! Try making these delicious vegan tofu nuggets!! They're super crispy and can beat the fast food and non-vegan variety any day!!
Crispy Tofu Nuggets [Vegan]
For the Tofu Nuggets:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon raw cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 3/4 cups unsweetened cornflakes
- 1 14-ounce block tofu
- 2 cups vegetable oil
For the Curry Ketchup:
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
To Make the Vegan Tofu Nuggets:
- Stir the flour together with the raw cane sugar, sea salt, and 6 tablespoons water until the batter is smooth. Finely crumble the cornflakes.
- Cut the tofu into slices that are just under 1/2-inch, and then use a knife to shape the tofu into nuggets. Dip the nuggets in the batter and then coat them with the cornflakes.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep fryer or a small saucepan. You’ll know the oil is hot enough if you dip a wooden toothpick into the oil and small bubbles float up to the top around the toothpick.
- Fry the nuggets for approximately 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
To Make the Curry Ketchup:
- Mix all of the ingredients with 3 tablespoons water. Serve with the nuggets.