This vegan battered fish is light, crispy and requires no deep frying. Enjoy this classic pub dish!
Crispy Battered ‘Fish’ [Vegan]
- 1 pack firm tofu, drained and pressed for at least 1 hour
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 1 pinch xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup soda water
- 3 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- Place your drained tofu between two plates, place something heavy on top and press for at least 1 hour*.
- Slice your pressed tofu into 4 thin slices.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, xanthan gum, baking power and salt and mix with a fork.
- Pour in the soda water and mix until you have a thick batter.
- In a big pan, heat the oil on medium/high heat.
- Dredge each slice of tofu in the batter until heavily coated.
- Place the battered tofu into the hot oil.
- Cook for 5 minutes until golden, flip and cook for a further 5 minutes.