Need some serious comfort food? This creamy, filling soup embodies all the flavors of the chilly season. Chestnuts simmered until soft and puréed with roasted potatoes, aromatics, and fresh savory herbs like rosemary and sage. A swirl of coconut cream makes it extra rich and cozy — perfect for fighting the cold while embracing the holiday season.
Creamy Roasted Chestnut and Potato Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium apples, peeled and finely diced
- 4 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 pound (about 3 medium-sized) Red potatoes, washed and cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage leaves, roughly chopped
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 2/3 cup coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons flour or arrowroot starch for gluten-free
- 2 cups shelled, roasted chestnuts
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large, wide-topped pot or Dutch oven heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onion, celery, apples, potatoes, rosemary, and sage.
- Cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring very often, until the potatoes are just starting to soften. Pour in the stock, then cover the pot with lid and bring to a boil.
- Chop the chestnuts into small pieces and add to the pot when it starts to boil. Remove lid, reduce heat to medium-low, and boil uncovered for about 20 minutes until the potatoes are very soft.
- Whisk the cream and flour together in a small bowl or glass until smooth, then stir it into the soup.
- Continue stirring continuously until the soup starts to thicken. Season to taste with salt and pepper then remove from heat and allow it to cool off just a little bit before serving.