This soup is the result of the cold temperatures we’re currently experiencing. Think of it as a cross between a creamy mushroom soup and a French onion soup; topped with dumplings! It’s filled with all the good stuff, yet prepared in under an hour.
Creamy Mushroom and Dumpling Soup [Vegan]
To Make the Soup:
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free butter
- 3 cups yellow onions, diced
- 3 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 5 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup dairy-free milk
To Make the Dumplings:
- 1 cup all-purpose whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add your diced onions and cook 8 minutes until soft and fragrant. Meanwhile, prepare your mushrooms and garlic.
- Add your sliced mushrooms and garlic and cook for 5 minutes until the water from your mushrooms has evaporated.
- Stir in your salt, bay leaves, and thyme.
- Pour your Worcestershire sauce and vegetable broth and bring the soup to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare your dumplings: In a medium bowl, mix your flour with salt and baking powder. Add your milk and mix the ingredients together to make a sticky dough. Set aside.
- Transfer the soup to a high-speed blender or food processor, making sure to discard the bay leaves and thyme. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer back to the saucepan, then stir in your milk. Top with little pieces of dumpling dough.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until the dumplings are lightly cooked through.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.