It’s hard not to love this one-pot dish, a quick-cooking curry that’s fragrant, creamy, and nutritious. Curries are a mainstay for me, and this one gets bonus points both for its simplicity and the powerful double dose of plant protein from quinoa and lentils.
Creamy Curried Lentils and Quinoa [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small white or yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup dried green or brown lentils
- 3⁄4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 to 5 cups firmly packed, chopped spinach, chard, collard greens, or kale
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk or
- Cashew cream
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until tender and translucent. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the salt, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, red pepper flakes, lentils, and quinoa, then stir in the broth. Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes. If the curry is very thick, you can add 1⁄2 cup (120 ml) water to thin it slightly. Add the greens, cover, and cook for 5 minutes, letting the greens steam on top of the curry.
- Stir in the greens, then stir in the coconut milk and lime juice. Season with black pepper, then taste and adjust the seasonings if desired.
- Serve right away, with any additional toppings you like.