Light, creamy, sweet and savory, this delicious plant-based Creamy Corn Chowder with Potatoes and Tarragon is a welcome addition to your comfort soups collection. A perfect satisfying bowl of soup all-year-long.
Creamy Corn Chowder with Potatoes and Tarragon [Vegan]
- 5 fresh sweet yellow corn cobs (cleaned) OR 2 cups frozen sweet corn (organic)
- 1.5 lbs Russet (or Yukon gold) potatoes
- 1 large organic red onion
- 5 cups (1 L) – veggie broth (or water)* See note below (Step 3)
- 1/2 cup (148 g) – coconut cream
- 4-5 sprigs of fresh tarragon OR 1 tbsp (1.83 g) - dry tarragon leaves
- 2 tablespoons (28 g) – grapeseed oil (or any veg oil)
- 2 tablespoons (22 g) – nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 teaspoons (4.60 g) – smoked sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons (8 g) – Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon (2.03 g) – ground cumin
- Clean and peel potatoes, cut them into small cubes (the smaller the cubes, the faster they cook). Remove corn kernels from the cobs (if using fresh corn). Set all aside.
- Clean and dice the red onion.
- Add the oil to a medium-sized heated pot, and saute on high until soft. Reduce heat to medium and add in smoked paprika and cumin. Stir continuously until the onion is slightly caramelized.
- Add in cubed potatoes and cook together with the onion and spices for a couple of minutes. Add in the veggie broth and salt. Bring the pot to a boil on medium heat, then reduce to simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are fully cooked.
- When potatoes are soft, add in the corn kernels, and the tarragon leaves, and let simmer for another 5 minutes. Adjust salt if needed (depending on taste), and lastly, add the coconut cream. Stir and set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes before blending to cream.
*Note: If using water instead of veggie broth, add in extra vegetable bouillon cubes (3-4). Serving suggestion: serve into bowls, add fresh seeds on top, extra tarragon leaves if preferred, and cooked corn kernels.