When combined with cashews, garlic, non-dairy milk, and salt, tofu can be turned into a creamy alfredo sauce that's perfect for pasta. Unlike firmer tofu, silken tofu blends up very well without a grainy texture. That means this sauce is silky and delicious as the dairy version. Win!
Creamy Cashew Tofu Alfredo [Vegan]
For the Sauce:
- 1 13-ounce package silken tofu
- 1 cup soy milk or other non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
For the Garnish:
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 tablespoon fresh sage or 1/2 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup cooking wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 16-ounce pasta of your choice, cooked
- Blend all the sauce ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor.
- Sauté the onion, garlic, and green pepper in the water in a pan over medium-high heat until the vegetables are limp and the water evaporates.
- Pour in the wine and lemon juice, mixing things together until everything comes to a simmer.
- Add the blended ingredients to the pan, whisking the mixture continuously to a gentle bubble.
- Gradually add the flour and continue to whisk until the sauce thickens and the lumps of flour disappear.
- Add the herbs and gently heat through.
- Remove from heat.
- Continue to whisk the sauce until it settles and looks smooth and thick. Ladle over cooked pasta.