Whether you love broccoli or tolerate it, this broccoli hummus is a winner. Easy to make, and so convenient for lunches and snacking throughout the week, it’s a recipe to celebrate both deliciousness and good health in one fell swoop.
Creamy Broccoli Hummus [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 3 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets (and some stems are fine, too)
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed and drained
- Large handful of cilantro leaves and tender stems (roughly 1 loosely packed cup)
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt (or to taste)
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- Water (as needed)
- A pinch of hot pepper flakes (optional)
- Place the broccoli in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket and filled with about 1 inch of water. Cover and turn heat to high. Steam the broccoli until it is very tender (about 7 to 10 mins) but still a vibrant green.
- Remove broccoli from basket, let cool for at least 5 minutes, and the transfer to a food processor. Process until finely chopped.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the water, to the food processor; process until completely smooth, stopping to scrape sides of bowl periodically. If hummus is too thick, add a few teaspoons of water at a time until desired consistency is reached. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- If desired, drizzle with a bit of olive oil and chopped cilantro. Serve with more vegetables, crackers, on bread, or any way that you like.
Store the hummus in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.