I’ve been trying to be more innovative in the kitchen and came up with a delicious treat. Tomatoes, vegan cream cheese, spices and green onions come together to create a tantalizing appetizer. Thick, rich, homemade cream cheese used here is made from cashews, which is stuffed inside a ripe, juicy tomato with a fresh sprinkle of salt, pepper, and an herb and seed blend with green onions on top.
Cream Cheese Filled Tomatoes [Vegan]
- 2 cups cashews
- 1 cup filtered water
- Salt to taste (opt)
- Small Ripe Tomatoes (Grape, Cherry, off the vine etc)
- Cashew Cream Cheese Green onions – diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dukkah (optional)
- Blend Cashews with filtered water until very smooth, place in an open-mouthed 1/2 gallon glass jar. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and secure with a rubber band. Cover with a towel and allow to sit in a warm place overnight.
- The next day dehydrate the “cheese” at 105 degrees for 6-8 hours until it begins to firm. Since it was so hot outside, we just placed the jar in the sunshine and it worked very nicely. You will have a nice thick, cream cheese-like spread.
- Take small juicy ripe tomatoes, core the inside and prepare a shallow bed for the cream cheese. Take a spatula or spoon and fill the center of the tomato with the homemade cashew cream cheese. Top with salt, pepper and an optional nut and spice blend. Place green onions on the side and/or on top.
- Wallah! Appetizers that are sure to please not only the eye, but the palette as well.
Feel free to add a squeeze of lemon or lime and your favorite herbs or seasoning.