These crabless cakes make a wonderful addition to salad, or can be used as a main entree!
Crabless Cakes [Vegan]
- 2 14-ounce cans artichoke hearts, packed in water, drained and chopped (squeeze out any extra moisture)
- 1/4 cup scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup corn (thawed if frozen)
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning (see notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup panko or plain bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. You want enough mayonnaise to bind everything together, but not so much that your mixture becomes goopy. (If you accidentally add too much, toss in more breadcrumbs!)
- Form mixture into patties (makes about 8), and place on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then carefully flip, and bake an additional 20 minutes.
- Serve on a salad, as a sandwich, on their own, or with a dipping sauce!
NOTES: To make your own Old Bay seasoning for this recipe, combine: ½ tsp celery salt (or ½ tsp celery seed + ¼ tsp salt), ½ tsp paprika, a pinch of crushed red pepper or cayenne pepper, and a few turns of black pepper. You can also pan fry these. If they fall apart, you may not have added enough mayonnaise or cut your veggies too large. Don’t fret! You should be able to press them back together, and once they cool down, they’re much easier to handle. You can make these a day ahead and reheat in the oven for a wonderful party appetizer.