These cupcakes are a vanilla sponge cake, filled with vegan sprinkles, topped with a piped cotton candy buttercream...decorated with fondant and cacao nibs (to bring the bears to life).
Cotton Candy Bear Cupcakes [Vegan]
- 1 cup of dairy-free milk
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup of golden caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil (Melted)
- 1/2 cup of dairy-free butter
- 2 cups of icing sugar
- Pink food coloring
- 1 teaspoon of cotton candy flavoring
- Dairy-free milk (if needed)
- Preheat your oven to 360ºF and line a cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
- In a small bowl, combine the dairy-free milk with the apple cider vinegar and whisk until fully combined.
- Set aside for 10 minutes to curdle. This creates a vegan 'buttermilk'.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- Mix well to combine.
Add the melted coconut oil to the 'buttermilk' and whisk to combine.
Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until a smooth batter.
Fill the cases 3/4 full with the batter. Make sure to tap the tins on the worktop to remove any air bubbles.
Pop the cakes into the preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes.
You will know they are done when you put a knife or skewer in and it comes out clean and they are springy to the touch.
Place the cupcakes on a cooling rack and allow to cool fully before frosting.
To make the frosting:
- Cream the butter in a bowl, on a high speed until creamy.
- When your butter/margarine is creamy & light in color, add in the icing sugar, cotton candy flavoring and pink food coloring.
- Whizz together until fluffy & fully combined.
- Add a splash of dairy-free milk if too thick.
- Transfer the buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a grass tip.
- Core the cupcakes and fill with some vegan sprinkles (optional)
- Pipe the buttercream onto each cupcake.
- Decorate the cupcakes with fondant circles and cacao nibs for the nose and eyes.