Why have a platter of grains, beans, and vegetables when you can make the same ingredients into a comfort food favorite? This veggie patty is made with one sweet potato, cannellini beans, onion, rice, and plenty of seasoning. It's crusted in cornmeal and pan-fried to create a perfectly crunchy exterior that contrasts wonderfully with the soft interior. Dress this up with plenty of toppings like mashed avocado, juicy slices of tomato, lettuce, and mustard.
Cornmeal-Crusted Sweet Potato Rice Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Patties:
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 13-ounce can great northern or cannellini beans
- 1 onion, diced fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups packed kale leaves, tough stems removed, finely chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- A dash of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil, divided
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
For the Burgers:
- Hamburger rolls
- Mashed avocado
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced onion
- Lettuce leaves
- Barbeque sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and bake the sweet potato for 30-40 minutes until cooked through and soft. Remove the skin and transfer the potato flesh to a medium bowl. Mash the potato with the back of a fork. Add the beans and mash them into the potato mixture. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, preferably cast iron, heat one tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté for 1-2 minutes until slightly softened. Add the garlic and kale and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until kale is wilted. Stir in the cumin, paprika, chipotle, cayenne, kosher salt, and black pepper. Transfer the kale mixture to the potato mixture. Add the rice and stir to combine. With your hands or a burger press, form the potato mix into patties. Refrigerate for half an hour to help firm them up a little.
- Meanwhile, add the cornmeal to a shallow dish. Add one tablespoon of oil to the cast iron skillet and heat over medium-medium high heat.
- Carefully coat the patties in the cornmeal mixture and add to the hot pan. Cook patties for 4-5 minutes per side until they are crispy and browned on the outside. Carefully transfer the patties to a platter and assemble the burgers with your favorite condiments.