Corn flakes should no longer be confined to your cereal bowl. It’s time to kiss those days goodbye, and step outside the bowl to experience a delicious corn flake coated twist on scalloped potatoes. That’s right, thinly sliced potatoes, smothered in a rich cashew cheese sauce, and topped with the perfect crunch of corn flakes. If your mouth isn’t watering yet, just wait ’till you see the photos, or make it for yourself!
Oil-Free Corn Flake Crusted Scalloped Potatoes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Oil-Free Corn Flake Crusted Scalloped Potatoes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Main Ingredients:
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth, plus more as needed
- 7 medium red potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup aquafaba (canned chickpea liquid)
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free flour (or any of choice)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon fresh green onions, for garnish
For the Herbed Corn Flake Crumbs:
- 1 cup unsweetened corn flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs of choice (e.g., basil and/or rosemary)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
How to Prepare Oil-Free Corn Flake Crusted Scalloped Potatoes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, add the onions and garlic along with 1/4 cup vegetable broth, and cook until soft and translucent, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add more broth 1/4 cup at a time as necessary to prevent burning, then remove from heat.
- In a blender, add the onion and garlic mixture as well as all of the remaining ingredients except for the potatoes, green onions and cereal crumbs. Blend on high until completely smooth.
- Mix in the chives and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wash and slice the potatoes with a mandolin (if available) into 1/4-inch slices. Place in a large bowl of water as you go along slicing to prevent browning.
- Drain the sliced potatoes but keep in the large bowl, then pour the cheese mixture over all them.
- This next step is messy, but it's worth it. Organize the potato slices vertically along the side of the dish, and repeat until tightly packed.
- Pour any excess cheese mixture over but only until the top edges still show.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 20-25 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle the corn flake crumbs over the top, then bake another 30 minutes or until golden brown (see notes).
- Let stand for 10 minutes, top with green onions and serve warm.
- Add the garlic, salt, and herbs into a food processor and run until the garlic is minced. Add in the cornflakes in and run until fine.
To Make the Herbed Corn Flake Crumbs:
If the top starts to brown too much, loosely cover with foil until potatoes are done. The cornflakes we used were unsweetened and the only ingredients were corn + salt, so your results will very if you used sweetened cereal.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.