Meet the fast food copycat of your dreams: these veganized Crunchwrap Supremes. They're stuffed with meaty textured vegetable protein, crisp tostada shells, plenty of melty vegan cheese, and everything else you love about Taco Bell. These vegan Crunchwrap Supremes are a great recipe for weekend taco nights with the family. Or, you can show your kids or significant other new and exciting ways to recreate some of their favorite fast food meals.
Copycat Crunchwrap Supreme [Vegan]
- 1 cup TVP (textured vegetable protein)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 beef-free beef bouillon cube
- 1/2 cup white onion, minced
- 3-5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 2 extra-large flour tortillas
- 2 corn tortillas
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Additional vegetable oil, for frying corn tortillas
- 1 cup vegan cheddar shreds
- 1/4 cup original, unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning (optional)
- Vegan sour cream
- Shredded lettuce
- Tomatoes, diced
- Avocado or guacamole (optional)
- Vegan refried beans (optional)
- Hot sauce (optional)
- In a bowl, add dried TVP. In a small saucepan, boil water with bouillon cube. Add boiling, seasoned water to TVP, mix to combine, and set aside to rehydrate for 10-15 minutes
- In the same small saucepan on low heat, add vegan shredded cheese, Cajun seasoning, and almond milk.
- Heat on low, stirring constantly until you have a cheese sauce. Keep warm until you are ready to assemble your crunchwraps.
- Once TVP is rehydrated, add 4 tablespoons of oil to a pan on medium heat.
- Sauté onions until translucent and fragrant, about 5-7 minutes. Add minced garlic and sauté an additional 1-2 minutes. Add rehydrated TVP and taco seasoning packet and mix thoroughly.
- Cook until heated through, about 7-8 minutes. Turn heat to low or simmer, and cover to keep warm until you are ready to assemble.
- Heat refried beans on the stovetop or in the microwave right before you are about to assemble your crunchwrap.
- Fry corn tortillas in oil until they are crispy. Make sure you fry them flat like a tostada shell.
- Heat large flour tortillas in the microwave until they are soft enough to fold, about 20-30 seconds.
- To assemble your crunchwrap supremes, add 2-3 tablespoons vegan ground beef (TVP) mixture to the center of the large flour tortilla. Drizzle with as much cheese sauce as you’d like.
- Add crispy tostada shell directly on top of the vegan ground beef and nacho cheese.
- Spread sour cream and refried beans on top of crispy tostada. Top with lettuce, tomatoes, and avocado. Fold the flour tortilla over the entire center. Continue to fold, working around the entire tortilla until it is fully wrapped.
- If you’ve stuffed your crunchwrap too much, tear another piece of the flour tortilla and place it in the center, then fold around it.
- On a pan on medium-low heat, place crunchwrap supreme folded side down until browned and crispy, about 5-10 minutes.
- Flip and cook on the other side until browned and crispy, an additional 5-10 minutes Serve crunchwraps warm with hot sauce.