This classic vegan coffee and walnut cake is filled and topped with a delicious espresso-infused vegan buttercream icing. If you are an avid coffee drinker, then you will fall in love with this cake thanks to its robust and rich coffee flavor. Its perfect for entertaining guests on a cozy fall day.
Coffee and Walnut Cake [Vegan]
For the Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups white flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/5 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/5 cup walnut pieces
- 3 tablespoons strong espresso coffee
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Scant 1/3 cup unsweetened soy yogurt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
For the Buttercream:
- 1/2 cup salted vegan butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons strong espresso coffee
- Preheat oven to 360°F.
- Grease two 8-inch cake pans and line them with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour in all wet ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until you have a smooth batter.
- Divide the batter evenly into the cake pans (the recipe yields for two small cakes, you will not have a lot of batter in each pan, which is ok).
- Bake for about 20-28 minutes, test the center of each cake with a fork or toothpick if it comes out clean, the cake is fully cooked.
- Leave the cakes in the pans for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack and peel off parchment paper.
- For the buttercream, place the vegan butter in a mixing bowl and beat for 1 minute.
- Add the coffee and the powdered sugar and beat for an additional 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- To frost, place one layer of the cooled cake on serving platter or cake stand. Top with half of the buttercream and smooth out to the edges. Place the other cake on top of it and top with the rest of the buttercream.
- Decorate with some walnuts and serve at room temperature.