These scones are absolute heaven; fluffy, moist, fruity, tart, and semi-sweet! This recipe is super easy to make and takes a short 25 minutes altogether. The scones are the perfect treat to make on a lazy Sunday morning or ahead of time for a sweet treat. Add one of these scones as part of a hearty breakfast in bed or make them for the whole family to enjoy together!
Coconut Rhubarb Scones With Fresh Strawberry Glaze [Vegan]
For the Scones:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut almond milk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, room temperature
- 1/3 cup cane sugar and more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed and 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup fresh rhubarb, diced
For the Strawberry Glaze:
- 4 fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted but not hot
- 1 cup powdered sugar
To Make the Scones:
- Preheat oven to 375° F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and set it aside.
- Add the coconut oil to a bowl and smash with a fork. Add the sugar, coconut almond milk, and the flax egg to the bowl and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until incorporated.
- Add the diced rhubarb to the remaining dry ingredients and coat rhubarb with flour. Add in the flour and rhubarb to the mixture and mix until dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and use your hands to form into a circle with 1 inch in height. Cut the circle into 8 even wedges and gently transfer the scones to the baking sheet. Sprinkle a pinch of cane sugar on top of each scone and bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
To Make the Strawberry Glaze:
- While the scones are cooling, blend the coconut oil with the fresh strawberries. Take 2 tablespoons of the mixture and add 1 cup of powder sugar. Mix until creamy. Remove the scones from the oven to cool for about 5 minutes before drizzling the strawberry glaze on top.
To make the flax egg, mix 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed with 2 tablespoons of cold, filtered water. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes before using.