This dessert is perfect if you and your family are a fan of sweet and tart desserts! The addition of the lime zest brings out the tart flavor and make these bars a perfect treat.
Coconut Lime Bars [Vegan]
For the Dry Ingredients:
- 2 cups plain all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
For the Wet Ingredients:
- Juice from 2 limes
- 1 3/4 cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Rind from two limes (grate the skin on the outside of your lime)
For the Glaze:
- 1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- Well roasted coconut chips
- Rind from one lime
To Make Muffins
- If you're a kid, make sure to get an adult helper.
- Preheat your oven to 374°F and grease two muffin bar tins.
- In a large mixing bowl sieve your flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add sugar, coconut and mix together well using a whisk.
- In a large jug or bowl pour all wet ingredients and mix together well
- Make a well in your flour and gently pour one third of your milk into the mix. Gently fold liquids into the flour with a whisk and add another third, fold it through and then add the remaining milk and fold it through until just combined. Don't over mix. Don't worry if it's a little lumpy.
- Pour batter into muffin tin, filling each one 3/4 full.
- Put trays into the oven on the top rack and bake in the oven for 15-17 mins or until a skewer comes out clean when poked into the middle of a muffin.
- Leave muffins in their tins for 5-10 minutes before moving to a cooling rack so the bottoms don't become soggy.
To Make Topping
- In a small bowl mix together icing sugar and juice until well combined.
- Once muffins are cold pour a tablespoon of icing over the top of each muffin and then sprinkle on coconut chips and rind. They are now ready to eat!
- Store in an airtight container in the cupboard. If you put these in the fridge they will dry out.