This Goan Sorak curry is a mildly spiced and slightly tangy coconut carry, that is perfect with some steamed rice!
Goan Sorak Curry: Spiced and Tangy Coconut Curry [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup freshly grated coconut
- 4 whole dry Kashmiri chillies
- 4 whole garlic cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- Lime sized ball of tamarind
- 5 whole peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, preferably coconut oil
- 1 to 2 whole green chillies
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- Salt, to taste
- Make a smooth paste of grated coconut, red chillies, turmeric, garlic, peppercorns, cumin, coriander seeds, tamarind (clean the fibers and remove seeds if any) using little water at a time, up to 3/4 cup water.
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pot (If you have a clay pot, then do use that instead, for an authentic flavor). Add chopped onions, saute until translucent. You do not need to brown the onions.
- Add the ground paste and sauté for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
- Extract the remaining masala from the grinder using few tablespoons of water, and add to the pot. Add 1 cup of water (Adjust as per desired consistency). Mix well.
- Add salt, to taste and slit green chillies. Bring to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes. Switch off the heat. Serve with steamed rice/pao (bread).
You can use tamarind pulp concentrate instead of grinding the tamarind, about 1 teaspoon. Add it along with the salt & green chillies.