In this curry, chickpeas stew in a savory, spiced tomato sauce until they absorb the flavors. While most curries have a kick to them, this one is mild, making it great for kids. This dish thickens as it cools, so even the leftovers are amazing. Serve this with a generous portion of freshly cooked brown basmati rice.
Cinnamon-Spiced Chana Masala [Vegan]
- 2 1/2 cups of chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 28-ounce can tomatoes, or 3 cups fresh tomatoes
- 4 cups chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, or 2 1/2 teaspoons ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, or 1 1/2 ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoons cayenne, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher/sea salt
- 1 cup of reduced fat coconut milk
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup of cilantro or parsley
- 4 or more cups of spinach
- If grinding spices, do so first.
- Sauté onions in a hot pan, adding a little bit of water to prevent the onions from sticking, about 1/3 cup. Add salt and cook until softened.
- Add garlic and ginger and sauté for a few minutes, until aromatics release.
- Add remaining ingredients except spinach, parsley/cilantro, and lemon juice. Cook for about 20 minutes, until ingredients have simmered and flavors have combined.
- When ready to serve, stir in spinach until it wilts.
- Add fresh parsley and lemon juice. Season to taste with additional cayenne (if desired), pepper, and salt.
- Serve atop rice with a fresh salad on the side.