Pandowdy is pie's chronically messy twin sister: a deep-dish fruit pie with a thick top crust made of overlapping pieces of dough. This seasonal variation consists of apples and pears tossed with a generous amount of cinnamon. It's a great dessert to make if you're craving something pie-like but don't want to commit to rolling out a double crust.
Cinnamon Apple Pear Pandowdy [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Cinnamon Apple Pear Pandowdy [Vegan]
- 3/4 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil, in its solid form
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- About 1-3 tablespoons cold water
- 2 large sweet-tart apples, cut into small chunks
- 1 pear, cut into small chunks
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose gluten-free flour
- Pinch of sea salt
How to Prepare Cinnamon Apple Pear Pandowdy [Vegan]
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, cinnamon, and sea salt.
- Cut in coconut oil with a pastry blender or two knives until it is in pea-sized pieces.
- Mix in vanilla and just enough water to create a smooth dough that holds together but isn't too sticky. Add a touch of water if needed, and knead slightly until a smooth dough is created.
- Transfer the dough to a sheet of parchment paper and roll out into about a 7 or 8-inch round using a floured rolling pin. Cut into shapes (I did small stars) and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and grease a 6-inch deep baking dish.
- In a large bowl, toss together the filling ingredients and turn into the baking dish. Arrange the cutout pieces of dough on top of the fruit.
- Place the dish on a baking sheet and bake for one hour and five minutes or until the crust is golden, and the fruit is cooked through and bubbling (if the crust starts to get too dark, tent with foil). Serve warm.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.