A torta is basically the Mexican version of a sandwich A bolillo, or French-style roll, is spread with refried beans and creamy avocado and filled with a spicy chorizo center, tomato, and a couple of slices of onion. The whole thing is then toasted on a griddle, similar to how you would make a panini. Serve this delicious and warm sandwich with pickled jalapeños for an extra kick.
Chorizo Torta [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Chorizo Torta [Vegan]
- 4 French rolls
- 1 15.5-ounce can of black beans
- 2 avocados
- 1 white onion, white, sliced thinly
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2-1 pound vegan chorizo
How to Prepare Chorizo Torta [Vegan]
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits, and scoop out the flesh with a spoon into a bowl. Mash with a fork and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Drain the black beans, but reserve 2-3 tablespoons of the liquid. Mash the beans with a fork until they reach the consistency of refried beans. You can, of course, use real refried beans instead.
- Slice the rolls in half, lengthwise and scoop out some of the soft interior. Spread 2 tablespoons or more of the avocado on the top half of the bread and top with 2 slices of onion.
- Spread 2 tablespoons or more of the beans on the bottom half of the bread. Divide the chorizo mixture between the bottom half of the 4 rolls. Top with 2-3 slices of tomato, and cover with top half of bread.
- Heat a griddle or cast iron pan over medium heat. Once hot, place the tortas on it and cook for about 5 min, on each side. You can place a heavy sauté pan on top of the tortas while they are cooking to give it a panini effect.
- Serve with pickled jalapeños.
- Beans - Black
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.