If you are not familiar with what a rugelach cookie is, when you taste one, you will wonder what is that back note of creaminess that is so surprising in a cookie! Yep, that’s the cream cheese. In this case, vegan cream cheese mixes with raspberry jam and melted chocolate chips for a creamy, chocolatey, tangy dessert you'll love.
Chocolate Raspberry Rugelach [Vegan]
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 8-ounce package vegan cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon vegan lactic acid
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegan egg replacer
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups raspberry jam
- 3/4 cup mini vegan chocolate chips
- Crushed vegan chocolate cookies (optional)
- Aquafaba, for brushing the cookies before baking
- Cinnamon sugar, for sprinkling
- Cream the vegan butter and cream cheese together to smooth.
- Add the granulated sugar and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy approximately 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine the vegan egg with the cold water and whisk smooth then add the vanilla extract to that.
- Add the vegan egg mixture to the creamed butter mixture and mix well, scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl for an even mix.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder then add it all at once to the mixer and mix on low speed to combine.
- Wrap the dough into 3 separate equal discs and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Once the dough has relaxed and is chilled, knead it lightly on a floured surface to form a round disc then roll it out to 12-inch diameter.
- Spread with about 1/2 cup of the raspberry jam then sprinkle with about 1/4 cup of the mini chips and 2 tablespoons of crushed cookies
- Cut the dough circle first by quartering the entire piece. Then, each quarter gets cut into 4 pieces for a total of 16 wedges.
- Roll up each wedge from the fat edge into the center.
- Place the cookies on a silicone baking mat on a sheet pan, brush with aquafaba then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 30-35 minutes until golden browned.
Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks at room temperature.