Fear doughnuts no more! This vegan and gluten-free chocolate pistachio zucchini doughnut is super healthy, delicious, rich, and moist. It's made with fresh zucchini, spinach (yep, you won’t see it or taste it but know it’s there), pistachios, gluten-free flour, and homemade apple sauce and is sweetened with agave. Grab-and-go food never tasted so good!
Chocolate Pistachio and Zucchini Doughnuts [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup pistachios plus more for topping
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup agave syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Shred the zucchini and transfer to a paper towel. Squeeze all the excess liquid then measure to one cup packed full. Transfer to a bowl.
- Crop the spinach into tiny pieces, basically as small as you can turn them into. Add to the zucchini bowl.
- Add the agave, coconut oil, apple sauce, and coconut milk to the zucchini bowl and mix to combine.
- Using a food processor or a mortar and pestle, mash the pistachio into smaller pieces.
- Add the pistachios (set aside some for topping) and remaining ingredients (dry ingredients) in a small bowl. Mix to combine.
- Add the dry mix into the zucchini mix and fold to combine.
- Pour the batter into a greased doughnut pan and bake at 375°F degrees for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.