This easy-to-make pie is decadent in a light kind of way. It’s chocolaty and creamy like pudding but not too sweet. It also holds perfectly, even without the coconut oil or cacao butter or Agar-Agar powder.
Chocolate Pie [Vegan]
For the Base:
- 2 cups raw pecans
- 1/2 cup natural rolled oats
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
For the Filling:
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews, softened *(see note)
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 3/4 cup 100% cacao powder
- 8 fresh medjool dates, pitted and softened in warm water
- 1/2 cup coconut cream or thick coconut milk (not watery)
- 2 tablespoons finely ground chia seeds (can grind in a small coffee grinder or mini blender)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla powder or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the base ingredients to your food processor bowl and process until you get a crumbly-moist mixture. Press evenly in the bottom of the pan and bake in preheated oven on middle rack for 7 to 8 minutes, until edges are golden. Remove and let cool on a rack.
- Meanwhile, soak the pitted dates in a small bowl filled with hot tap water to soften them (about 5 minutes) and then discard the water. If you haven’t soaked the cashews, put them in the microwave now (see note for a quick soak). Rinse the soaked cashews under cold water with strainer to cool them and transfer them into your blender or food processor bowl.
- Add the the 1 1/2 cups warm water to the cashews and blend or process for one minute to get a creamy liquid. Add the cacao powder and blend or process for 10 – 15 seconds until well mixed. Add the softened dates and coconut cream and blend or process (stop to scrape sides if necessary) until the dates and cream are incorporated into the mixture. Add the ground chia seeds and vanilla and blend or process until creamy, stopping to scrape sides if necessary.
- Pour into the prepared springform pan and spread evenly. Cover with foil or a tea towel. Put in freezer for at least 2 hours and then refrigerate for at least 4.
- Serve topped with fresh whipped cream of choice (coconut).
- Keep leftover pie stored in a covered container in the refrigerator. It will keep for several days.
To soften the cashews, transfer them to a bowl and cover with tepid water. Put a lid on the bowl. Allow to soak overnight. If you use boiling water, they only need to soak for 2 hours. For a quick soak: Put the raw cashews in a microwave-proof bowl and cover them with tepid water. Put a lid on and microwave on high heat for 3 minutes. When done, transfer the hot cashews into a strainer and drain all of the hot water. Rinse the cashews under cold running tap water to cool them.