A pecan pie is in and of itself a beautifully decadent dessert, but I like to kick it up a notch every so often. Chocolate + nuts + pie = heaven. This would make a terrific addition to any Thanksgiving celebration, or simply be a wonderful treat on a cozy autumn day indoors with a good cup of tea or coffee.
Chocolate Pecan Pie [Vegan]
8 - 10
- 5 3/4 oz plain flour/all purpose flour + extra for flouring the work surface
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp icing sugar/confectioners’ sugar
- 2 .3/4 oz/ 3/4 stick vegan butter + extra for greasing the pie dish
- 1 cup pecan halves to top the pie
- 14 oz tofu
- 3-5 tbsp or cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- up to 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Start with the crust: sift the flour, cocoa powder and sugar into a mixing bowl and add the vegan butter. Rub the ingredients with your fingertips until the texture becomes sandy. Roll the mixture into a ball, wrap it in cling film/food wrap film and place it in the fridge to chill for 1/2 hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4. Grease a 28 cm (11 inch) pie dish with some vegan butter.
- Sprinkle some flour onto your work surface. Take the chilled dough from the fridge and roll it out to about 0.5 cm (0.25 inch) thickness.
- Drape the dough over the pie dish and gently press it onto the bottom and the sides of the dish with your fingers. Cover the dough with a piece of nonstick parchment paper and spread some baking beans on top. Bake the crust for 17 minutes and cool it afterwards on a wire rack/cooling rack.
- To make the filling, put the tofu, cocoa powder, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, cinnamon and half of the almond milk into a high-speed blender. Blend all the ingredients until thick and creamy. If your blender is struggling to blend all the ingredients, add a little more almond milk.
- When you’re happy with the consistency of the filling, pour it into the pie dish, spread it evenly and place the pecan halves on top. Put the pie into the fridge to chill overnight, or at least for 6 hours.