A chocolate cream puff. Does it get any more decadent?! We like to make them bite-size so they are the perfect portion of rich, creamy, and oh-so-fluffy goodness. It's hard to believe all that fanciness is the product of a very ordinary (accidentally vegan) canned biscuit. It can be our little secret.
Chocolate Coconut Cream Puffs With Coconut Whipped Cream [Vegan]
20 cream puffs
Ingredients You Need for Chocolate Coconut Cream Puffs With Coconut Whipped Cream [Vegan]
For the Cream Puffs:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 7.5-oz can biscuits
For the Coconut Whipped Cream:
- 1 15-oz can coconut cream, chilled 8 hours
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
How to Prepare Chocolate Coconut Cream Puffs With Coconut Whipped Cream [Vegan]
To Make the Cream Puffs:
- To make the chocolate glaze, whisk the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Add the non-dairy milk and vanilla extract. Then, whisk until smooth. Set aside until you’re ready to assemble.
- Warm the canola oil in a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat. If you have a thermometer, you’ll want the oil around 365°F. Otherwise, you can put the handle of a wooden spoon into the oil. When tiny little bubbles form around it, the oil is ready.
- Cut the biscuits into tiny rounds. The lid of a spice jar works nicely. When the oil is hot enough (and please do be careful), drop a few of the biscuit rounds into the oil. Cook for about 45 seconds each side depending on how hot your oil is.
- Transfer the cooked puffs to a paper towel-lined plate to cool. Cut the first few open to make sure they’re not still doughy on the inside. If they’re doughy on the inside and sufficiently browned on the outside, your oil is too hot. Make adjustments and keep working through all of the dough rounds.
To Make the Coconut Whipped Cream:
- Chill your bowl and beater in the freezer for 15 minutes before starting.
- Open your chilled can of coconut cream. Pour off the water that has separated from the cream.
- Add the cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla to the bowl of a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Mix until fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Return the coconut whipped cream to the refrigerator until ready to use.
To Assemble the Cream Puffs:
- When all of the puffs are completely cooked, gently cut the puffs almost in half. With a small butter knife, add a dollop of the coconut whipped cream so it’s just peeking out when you close them up.
- Ever so gently, dip the top of the puffs into the chocolate glaze. If the glaze is too thick for dipping, whisk in a little extra non-dairy milk. You can also drizzle the tops if dipping is problematic.
For the whipped cream, you can substitute maple syrup or agave for the powdered sugar. Make it chocolate whipped cream by adding 1 or 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder. Book design by Page Street Publishing Co. Photography by Allie Lehman Cover design by Mette Hornung Rankin https://www.amazon.com/Frugal-Vegan-Affordable-Delicious-Cooking/dp/1624143776/?tag=onegrepla-20
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 5075 | Total Carbs: 494 g | Total Fat: 422 g | Total Protein: 56 g | Total Sodium: 7910 g | Total Sugar: 193 g Per Serving: Calories: 299 | Carbs: 25 g | Fat: 21 g | Protein: 3 g | Sodium: 396 mg | Sugar: 10 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.