Whether it's a birthday, the holidays, or just because, these cupcakes are decadent and perfect for any occasion (even if it's just a night in). Rich chocolate cake and creamy cashew frosting is a match that can't be beat. These cupcakes are straight forward, beyond delicious, and gluten-free! Do you need more convincing?
Chocolate Cashew Butter Cupcakes With Homemade Gluten-Free Flour Blend [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cupcake's Dry Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup white rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Pinch of salt
For the Cupcake's Wet Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk plus 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup oil
For the Cashew Butter Frosting:
- 1/2 cup of smooth, unsweetened cashew butter
- 3 tablespoons of vegan butter
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons of full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
For the Cashew Butter Cups:
- 1/2 cup of cacao butter
- 1/2 cup of cacao powder
- 1/4 of maple syrup
- Cashew butter (or nut butter of choice)
To Make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Start by combining the milk and apple cider vinegar together to allow it to curdle. Then mix all of your dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir well to combine. Add the oil to milk and vinegar mixture and mix it up.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and combine without over mixing. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and fill 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18 minutes, rotating at the 9-minute mark. Make sure a toothpick inserted comes out clean to know they are cooked through.
- Allow them to cool before frosting (at least 30 minutes).
To Make the Cashew Butter Frosting:
- Throw everything in a bowl and mix it with an electric mixer.
To Make the Cashew Butter Cups (Stars On Cupcakes):
- Melt the cacao butter on low heat in a pot on your stove. Slowly add the cacao powder while stirring constantly, finally add the maple syrup and stir to combine. Allow this mixture to cool slightly.
- Spoon a bit of the mixture into a chocolate mould or mini cupcake liners – just enough to cover the bottom.
- Freeze the prepared moulds/liners for 10 minutes.
- Once you remove them from the freezer, spoon out a very small amount of cashew butter (not quite 1/4 teaspoon) into each one and try to smoosh it down so it is flat. Then top with the remaining chocolate.
- Freeze for at least 30 minutes. This will make at least a dozen (maybe more for munching on).
The chocolate cashew butter stars on top of the cupcakes in the photo are optional. But they're awesome.