Did you ever think you could make vegan cheese without nuts or seeds? Well, this cheese is a real game-changer. Made from aquafaba, the fancy name for the liquid from a can of chickpeas, agar agar, and non-dairy yogurt, the flavor is dark, deep, spicy, and cheesy. It even melts, if you give it enough time and moist heat, so it's the perfect topping for veggie burgers!
Chipotle Aquafaba Cheese [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Chipotle Aquafaba Cheese [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup aquafaba (liquid from a can of chickpeas)
- 3 teaspoons agar agar powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain non-dairy yogurt (not coconut)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1/2 teaspoon vegan lactic acid (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dark miso (not mellow white miso)
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chipotle in adobo purée
How to Prepare Chipotle Aquafaba Cheese [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Combine the aquafaba and agar agar in a medium saucepan. Mix well and set aside to soften.
- Combine the milk, yogurt, yeast, starch, salt, garlic, lactic acid, miso, Worcestershire sauce, and chipotle in a blender. Blend very well. Set aside. Have a 2-cup mold ready for the cheese.
- Heat the saucepan of aquafaba over medium heat. Bring to boil and cook for 1 minute. Slowly add the blender mixture to the aquafaba mixture while stirring with a whisk. Whisk until smooth and bring back to a boil. Once boiling, switch to a spatula and cook the mixture for 5 minutes.
- The cheese should reach 195°F for the agar to completely dissolve.
- Immediately transfer the cheese to the mold and cool. Once cool place in the refrigerator to completely chill and firm up. Remove from the mold and slice and serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Agar Agar
- All Vegan Cheese
- Nutritional Yeast / Nooch
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 233 | Total Carbs: 16 g | Total Fat: 8 g | Total Protein: 14 g | Total Sodium: 2392 g | Total Sugar: 4 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.