Chinese eggplant with garlic sauce is a dish prepared with pan-fried eggplants slowly cooked with a garlic and soy sauce mixture. It's a great dish on its own or you can serve it as a side dish with "meaty" dishes. If you're a fan of garlic, you're in for a treat.
Chinese Eggplant With Garlic Sauce [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 4 Chinese eggplants, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup and 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 whole garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- Peanut oil
- On a large plate, spread the eggplant out and sprinkle salt over the top. Set it aside for 30 minutes and pat dry with paper towel.
- In a small bowl combine light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, sugar, 2 teaspoons cornstarch, and water. Mix it well.
- Place eggplants in a large bowl and toss it with the remaining cornstarch to coat.
- Heat up a wok, add oil then cook eggplants in one layer until they are lightly charred. You might need to do it in batches if you have a small wok. Remove the eggplants from the wok then set it aside.
- Back to the wok, add oil then sauté your garlic and ginger in medium low heat until its fragrant and light brown in color.
- Add the eggplants back then pour the sauce, stir to coat then turn heat to low. Cover your wok and cook until eggplants are tender. Season with salt then serve with steamed rice.