These chili-chocolate tacos are incredible, cheaper than traditional tacos, and almost certainly more nutritious too. It also adds a great crunch. Dark chocolate consumed in moderation is actually healthy for you. It is rich in antioxidants and flavonoids. So sticking it in your taco may seem like an odd move but it's really all-around winning.
Chilli Chocolate Tacos [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Chilli Chocolate Tacos [Vegan]
For the Chilli Chocolate Beans:
- 1 400g can of mixed pulses
- 1 red chilli (deseeded)
- 1 carrot
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 teaspoons carob syrup (or any other sweetener)
- 2 teaspoons tarragon
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chilli flakes (or any red chilli flakes)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 oz dark chocolate (80% cocoa or higher)
- 6 3/4 oz water
For the Corn Salsa:
- 1/2 red onion
- 7/8 cup sweetcorn (either from a can or frozen)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 oz fresh coriander
- Large Lettuce leaves (or corn tacos)
How to Prepare Chilli Chocolate Tacos [Vegan]
- Place a large saucepan on low heat and add the chili flakes, cumin, ground coriander, cinnamon and paprika. Dry fry the spices for a couple of minutes until the spices become fragrant.
- Halve a red onion, dice half, and add it to the spices with a little oil. Retain the other half for the corn salsa. Dice the red chili and add to the pan too. Fry for a few minutes until the onion has softened.
- Thinly dice the carrot and bell pepper and add to the pan. Fry for a few more minutes.
- Once the vegetables have softened add the can of mixed pulses, including the water, to the pan.
- Add the tarragon and carob syrup.
- Top up with 6 3/4 ounces of water. Bring the saucepan to a boil, and then reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the tomatoes into quarters, dice the remaining half of onion and fresh coriander. And combine in a bowl with the sweetcorn and lime juice.
- Chop the dark chocolate into small pieces. Once the liquid in the beans has reduced add the chocolate. Stirring as you go to help it melt. The beans should thicken, once they have been removed from the heat.
- Assemble your tacos and enjoy!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Serving: Calories: 212 | Carbs: 32 g | Fat: 5 g | Protein: 10 g | Sodium: 21mg | Sugar: 8 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.