Spring and summer are a time for transitioning from hearty stews to light soups like this chilled, roasted asparagus soup. It's lightly seasoned, allowing the flavors of the roasted asparagus to take center stage. This cool soup would be a perfect little appetizer or soup course for a summer dinner party and it’s one of those things that would impress your friends. It tastes great when warm, but the flavors truly shine through when it's served chilled.
Chilled Roasted Asparagus Soup [Vegan]
- 1/2 pound asparagus
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup vegetable broth, or water
- Extra basil, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Rinse the asparagus, towel dry, and spread evenly onto a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with salt and roast for 15-20 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a food processor, add everything, except for the broth, and blend until no chunks remain. Stream in the broth and continue to process until it starts to get smooth.
- Strain the mixture through a cheesecloth or mesh sieve and set the liquid aside. Place the remaining pulp back into the processor and blend until very smooth, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the mixture back to the liquid and whisk together until well combined.
- Chill until ready to serve. Place into small soup shooters or small bowls and top with fresh basil.
You can also serve this soup warm. Simply add it to a small saucepan and warm over medium heat until heated through.