This chili stack is the perfect for when you're unsure what to make during the week!
Chili Tortilla Stack with Chicken Tenders [Vegan]
- 1 large white onion – chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic – crushed
- 3 celery stalks – finely chopped
- 2 large carrots – finely chopped or grated
- 1 tin of kidney beans – drained
- 1 tin of chickpeas – drained
- 1 pack vegan chicken tenders – chopped into strips
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 carton passata (500g)
- Small bunch of fresh coriander – stalks and leaves
- A shake of chilli powder – to taste – add more if you like it spicy
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 4 large or 8 mini white tortillas
- 3/4 cups grated vegan cheese
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- Glug of oil – any you prefer
- Add your oil to a large saucepan and heat for a minute.
- Add your onion, celery, carrot and fry off for about 5 minutes.
- Add your garlic, fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add your spices and fry off for 1 minute to release the flavors.
- Tip in the kidney beans, chickpeas and chicken tenders, stir well.
- Tip in the tinned chopped tomatoes and passata and the chopped coriander stalks, stir well and cook on a medium heat for approximately 10 minutes, stirring regularly, until the veg has softened.
- Once cooked through, add the majority of the remaining coriander (retaining just a little for decoration) and stir well. Taste your chilli and season with salt and pepper accordingly.
- Preheat your oven to 392°F.
- Build your stack – you want to layer up your tortillas and chilli in an ovenproof dish. Start with the tortillas for my first layer. You can use the mini tortillas so layered three of them on the bottom, followed by a generous layer of chilli. Keep layering.
- As mentioned above, I started with the tortillas for my first layer. I used the mini tortillas so layered three of them on the bottom, followed by a generous layer of chilli. I then added another three wraps on top, followed by more chilli, then one more layer of wraps (two wraps is fine for this top layer) and then cover with the remaining chilli, sprinkle with your grated cheese and remaining coriander leaf.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is melted, golden brown and bubbling.
- This meal is best served straight away, hot from the oven, we have not tried reheating or freezing it yet but imagine the finished dish would not be quite the same.
- It is delicious served with a crisp green salad and some smoked paprika sweet potato chips.